Sheikh Zayed Book Award Eleventh Session
The Sheikh Zayed Book Award has announced the names of the winners of its eleventh session (2016 – 2017) in the categories of Literature, Contribution to the Development of Nations, Children’s Literature, Translation, Literary and Art Criticism, Arabic Culture in Other Languages, and Publishing and Technology; and in a separate announcement, the Cultural Personality of the Year (see below).
The announcement followed extensive discussions by the Award’s Board of Trustees and the Scientific Committee on the results submitted by the referees across the Award’s nine Categories.
Dr Ali Bin Tamim, Secretary General of the Award, said: "The creative achievements of this session were characterized by their depiction of current pressing issues facing the world, including religious text, Arabic philosophy, technology and terrorism. The successful works won the award due to their impact on Arab culture and social life."He added: "On behalf of the board of trustees and the scientific committee, the award wishes to congratulate the winners and encourage those candidates who have not won yet, to participate again in future sessions."
THE WINNERS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
‘Khareef al Bara’a’ (The Autumn of Innocence) by the Lebanese author Abbas Beydoun, published by Dar Al Saqi (2016)
CONTRIBUTION TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF NATIONS
‘Al Islam wal Insan’ (Islam and the Human Being) by Mohammad Chahrour from Syria, published by Dar Al Saqi (2016)
‘Bila qubba’a’ (Hatless) by Lateefa Buti from Kuwait, published by Seedan Media – Kuwait (2015)
‘Averroés: Le Philosophe Et La Loi’ Ibn Rushd’ translated from Arabic to French by Lebanese/ French Ziad Bou Akel, published by De Gruyter, Berlin (2015)
LITERARY AND ART CRITICISM
‘Fā‘iliyyat al-Khayāl al-Adabī’ (The Validity of Literary Fiction) by the Iraqi/Australian scholar Said Al Ghanimi, published by Al Kamel Verlag (2015)
ARABIC CULTURE IN OTHER LANGUAGES
‘Vom Denken der Natur zur Natur des Denkens’ by David Wirmer
PUBLISHING AND TECHNOLOGY
Kalimat Group, Sharjah, UAE
For more details of the above winners, on the Sheikh Zayed Book Award website, click here
THE CULTURAL PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR was announced separately as:
the Moroccan historian and scholar ABDALLAH LAROUI.
Dr Ali Bin Tamim, the Award’s Secretary General, said: “The choice of the prominent historian and theoretician Abdallah Laroui as Cultural Personality of the Year has been made to reflect his well-founded thought movement and cultural momentum spanning the entire Arab World. His valuable contribution to academic institutes and scientific bodies has profoundly influenced Arab political thinking and inspired numerous cultural and literary practices.”
For more information about Abdallah Laroui and this award, on the Sheikh Zayed Book Award website, click here
Regarding the YOUNG AUTHOR category, this year’s nominations did not meet the Award’s standards and criteria for winning.
• The award ceremony will be held during the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair on April 30, 2016, at the International Exhibition Center in Abu Dhabi.
• The Sheikh Zayed Book Award was inaugurated in 2007 to promote scholarship and creativity in Arab culture. It carries cash prizes totaling Dhs7 million – with Dh750,000 per winner (equivalent to USD204,231.68) in all eight categories (including the Arab Culture in non-Arabic Language category). The winners also receive a certificate of merit and a Gold Medal.
Shortlisted works for the TRANSLATION category are three scholarly studies, two of which are from original works in English and German, and one study translated from Arabic to French, as follows:
• ‘Justice, Punishment and the Medieval Muslim Imagination’ authored by Christian Lange and translated from English to Arabic by Tunisian translator Riadh Miladi (Dar Al Madar Al Islami, Lebanon 2016)
• ‘Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft’ (Economy and Society) authored by Max Weber in German and translated to Arabic by Mohamed Turki from Tunisia (Arab Organization for Translation, Lebanon 2015)
• ‘Averroès: Le Philosophe Et La Loi’ translated from Arabic to French by Lebanese/ French national Ziad Bou Akl (De Gruyter, Berlin, 2015)
Shortlisted titles for the LITERARY AND ART CRITICISM category are:
• ‘Khitabul akhlaq wal hawiyya fi rasa’el al Jahez (moral and identity discourse in al jahiz) by Mohammad Mishbal from Morocco (Dar Konoz Al Ma’rifah, 2015)
• ‘Afaq Alnazariyya al Adabiyya’ (the prospects of literary theory) by Saudi Author Saleh Zayyad (Dar al Tanweer, 2016)
• ‘Faa'liat Alkhial Ala'dbi’ (the Validity of Literary Fiction) by the Iraqi/Australian scholar Said Al Ghanimi (Al Kamel Verlag, 2015)
The shortlisted works in the LITERATURE category include three narrative works:
• ‘Alwah’ (Tablets) by Lebanese author Rashid Al-Daif, (2016)
• ‘Khareef al Bara’a’ (The Autumn of Innocence) by Lebanese author Abbas Beydoun (2016)
• ‘Fi Fami Lu’lu’a’ (A Pearl in My Mouth) by Emirati author Maisoon Saqer (2016)
Selected titles for the CHILDREN'S LITERATURE category include:
• ‘Al Manzel al Azraq’ (the Blue House) by Egyptian author Samah Ezzat (Dar al Banan – Lebanon 2016)
• ‘Bila qubba’a’ (Hatless) by Lateefa Buti from Kuwait (Seedan Media – Kuwait 2015)
• ‘Al Zi’ba Um Kaseb’ (Umm Kaseb, the She-Wolf) by Syrian Lina Al Hasan (Hakaya- Lebanon 2016).
First Shortlist announced for the 2017 Saif Ghobash Banipal Prize for Arabic Literary Translation[read more]
Sheikh Zayed Book Award Longlist announced for ‘Literature’ (2017-2018)[read more]
Libyan author Najwa Bin Shatwan is the 2018 Banipal Visiting Writer Fellowship[read more]
Banipal events coming up in October[read more]
Banipal magazine at the Berlin Literature Festival – 8 September[read more]
Banipal 59 – The Longlist is out today with a host of new fiction and poetry[read more]
[read all news stories]